The IMSE Undergraduate Student Research Program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to work directly for and with faculty on current research projects. Because the faculty have very diverse research interests, students have the chance to gain research experience in specific areas of interest. Appointments are for 5-10 hours/week, last ten weeks, and include a final presentation day with all participants (faculty and students) in the Undergraduate Research Program each semester. Assignments are meant to benefit students (and faculty) on multiple levels. Students
- gain experience in the research process, including literature review, problem formulation, data collection and analysis, assessment, writing, and presenting;
- learn more in-depth about areas of interest;
- interact directly with faculty, graduate students, and upper classmen, building a professional network; and
- earn money.
Students apply the semester they would like to participate. They indicate their areas of interest and can apply for specific openings if appropriate. Applications are uploaded where faculty can determine who they’d like to meet. The faculty then interview candidates and make offers.
During the semester of research, students report directly to their faculty mentor. They meet with their mentor each week, and with other students (undergraduate and graduate) working on the same project as needed. Assignments are for 5-10 hours/week, depending on the position. Students receive reviews from faculty mentors at mid-term and the completion of the assignment (minimum). Students also meet with the Undergraduate Research Program student group 2-3 times/semester.
Guidelines for Students
- Applications are due by the stated deadline and must be filled out completely for consideration.
- If there is no match for a student with a faculty member, students can apply in future semesters.
- Qualified students will be matched with research projects each semester.
- Students MUST present findings at the end of the term.
- Students will earn $10/hour, and will have appointments of up to 10 hours/week.