The Physical Ergonomics and Biomechanics Lab (ErgoLab) conducts basic research in the areas of spine biomechanics and upper extremity biomechanics with a focus on understanding the underlying etiology of workplace injuries. The applied work conducted in this laboratory is focused on ergonomic intervention effectiveness. This involves the engineering design, fabrication, lab-testing and field testing of ergonomic solutions for the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders in the working population. The group employs various biomechanical techniques such as video monitoring, bioelectric signals acquisition and analysis, and kinematic data to explore the relationship between task performance and stresses on the human body.
- Tetteh, E and GA Mirka (2021) “Trunk Kinematics Variability as a Function of Time During the Early Phase of a Repetitive Lifting Task”, Human Factors and Ergonomics in the Manufacturing and Service Industries, 1-9. (DOI: 10.1002/hfm.20888)
- Sarker P, H Norasi, J Koenig, MS Hallbeck and GA Mirka (2021) “Effects of Break Scheduling Strategies on Subjective and Objective Measures of Neck and Shoulder Muscle Fatigue in Asymptomatic Adults Performing a Standing Task Requiring Static Neck Flexion”, Applied Ergonomics, 92: 103311. (DOI.org/1016/j.apergo.2020.103311)
- Koenig, J, H Norasi, and GA Mirka (2020) “Technical Note: Using Johnson Distributions to Model Trunk Kinematics”, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, (DOI.org/10.1080/1463922X.2020.1836285)
- Sarker, P and GA Mirka (2020) “The Effects of Repetitive Bouts of a Fatiguing Exertion (with Breaks) on the Slope of Median Frequency of the EMG Power Spectrum”, Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, (DOI:10.1016/j.jelekin.2019.102382)
- Tetteh, E, P Sarker, C Radley, MS Hallbeck and GA Mirka (2020) “Effect of Surgical Radiation Personal Protective Equipment on the Rate of Back and Shoulder Muscle Fatigue”, Applied Ergonomics, 84: 103029 (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2019.103029)
- Norasi, H, J Koenig and GA Mirka (2019) “The Effects of Load Weight and Load Starting Height on Variability of Lifting Kinematics and Kinetics”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 73:102830, (DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2019.102830)
- Jin, S, and GA Mirka (2017) “Combined Effect of Low Back Muscle Fatigue and Passive Tissue Elongation on the Flexion-Relaxation Response”, Applied Ergonomics 63: 72-78, (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2017.04.022)