Department Chair of Statistics
Dr. Morris’s research is primarily focused on problems of experimental design, especially for studies involving computational models. Recent applications involve experimental design for response surface problems characterized by known symmetries among experimental factors, and experiments for evaluating and validating matching processes used in forensic science. The design and analysis of computer experiments (DACE), involves the planning/selection of “runs” of a large computer model and subsequent examination of the resulting output to validate, calibrate, or develop relatively fast-running approximations of the model.
- Morris, M.D., “Maximin Distance Optimal Designs for Computer Experiments with Time-Varying Inputs and Outputs,” Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 2014, 63-68.
- Vardeman, S.B., M.D. Morris, “Majority Voting by Independent Classifiers Can Increase Error Rates,” The American Statistician 67, 2013, 94-6.
- Morris, M.D., “Gaussian Surrogates for Computer Models with Time-Varying Inputs and Outputs,” Technometrics 54, 2012.
- Reising, M., M.D. Morris, S.B. Vardeman, and S. Higbee, \Modeling Spectral-Temporal Data from Point Source Events,” Technometrics 53, 2011.
- Vardeman, S., J. Wendelberger, T. Burr, M. Hamada, L. Moore, M. Morris, J. M. Jobe, and H. Wu, Elementary Statistical Methods and Measurement,” The American Statistician 64, 2010, 52-58.
- Chumbley, L.S., M.D. Morris, M.J. Kreiser, C. Fisher, J. Craft, L.J. Genalo, S. Davis, D. Faden, and J. Kidd, \Validation of Tool Mark Comparisons Obtained Using a Qualitative, Comparative Statistical Algorithm,” Journal of Forensic Sciences 55, 2010, 953-961.
- Morris, M.D., Comments following Jones and Johnson, “The Design and Analysis of the Gaussian Process Model,” Quality and Reliability Engineering International, to appear (2009).
- Morris, M.D., B. Dilts, S.J. Birrell, and P.M. Dixon, “Composite Response Surface Designs for Factors with Jointly Symmetric Effects,” Technometrics 51(2), 109-119 (2009).
- Faden, D., J. Kidd, J. Craft, L.S. Chumbley, M.D. Morris, L. Genalo, J. Kreiser, and S. Davis, “Statistical Confirmation of Empirical Observations Concerning Toolmark Striae,” Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners Journal, to appear (2009).
- Ostrouchov, G., W.E. Doll, L.P. Beard, M.D. Morris, and D.A. Wolf, “Multiscale Structure of UXO Site Characterization: Spatial Estimation and Uncertainty Quantification,” Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 23(2), 215-225 (2009).
IMSE Courses Taught
IE 361 Statistical Quality Assurance
||Office: 1121H Snedecor
Ph.D. Statistics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1977)
M.S. Statistics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1975)
B.S. Mathematics (with Honors), Oklahoma State University (1973)