Associate Chair of Operations
Manufacturing system and process improvements is the common theme of Dr. Frank Peters’ research work. He has worked with a variety of industries to develop solutions to improve quality and deliverability. Specific examples in the metalcasting field include heat treatment control and optimization, rapid patternmaking, decreasing product variability, and reducing the measurement error associated with visual inspection. Recent work in the wind energy industry includes semi-automated fabric layup for wind turbine blades. Other areas of interest include dimensional variability of products, metrology and fixturing.
- Hardis, R. and J. L.P. Jessop, F. E. Peters, and M. R. Kessler, “Cure kinetics characterization and monitoring of an epoxy resin using DSC, Raman Spectroscopy, and DEA,” Composites: Part A Applied Science and
Manufacturing, Vol. 49, pp. 100-109, June 2013.
- Peters, F., R. Stone, K. Watts, P. Zhong, and A. Clemons, “Visual Inspection of Casting Surfaces,” AFS Transactions, 2013.
- Daricilar, G., and F. Peters, “Assessment of Measurement Error for Visual Surface Inspections,” International Journal of Metalcasting, 5, No. 3, pp. 7-15, Summer 2011.
- Rajashekhar, S., F. Peters, and P. Molian, “Geometric Variability and Surface Finish of Weld Zones in Yb:YAG Laser Welded Advanced High Strength Steels,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 12, No. 2, pp.73-84, August 2010.
- Peters, F., R. Voigt, S. Ou, and C. Beckermann,  “Effect of Mold Expansion on Pattern Allowances in Sand Casting of Steel”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 20, pp. 275-287.
- Ryan, S.M., J. Jackman, F. Peters, S. Olafsson, M. Huba,  “The Engineering Learning Portal for Problem Solving: Experience in a Large Engineering Economy Class,” The Engineering Economist, 49, pp. 1-20.
- VanVoorhis, T., F. Peters, and D. Johnson,  “Developing Software for Generating Pouring Schedules for Steel Foundries,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, 39, pp. 219-234.
- Sangnui, S. and F. Peters, “The Impact of Surface Errors on the Location and Orientation of a Cylindrical Workpiece in a Fixture,”  ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 123, pp. 325-330.
IMSE Courses Taught
IE 222 Design & Analysis Methods for System Improvements
IE 248 Intro to Manufacturing Processes and Specifications
IE 348 Solidification Processes
IE 446/546 Geometric Variability in Manufacturing
IE 543 Wind Energy Manufacturing
Engr 340 Intro to Wind Energy: System Design and Delivery
Office: 3024 Black Engineering
Ph.D. Penn State University, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, 1996
Minor in Metals Science and Engineering
M.S. Penn State University, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, 1994
B.S. Penn State University, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, 1991